When it comes to installing a new roof or repairing an existing one, understanding what to expect during the roofing process helps you make informed...
Hurricane Proof Your Tampa Bay Roof
The Florida heat, sun, and six-month hurricane season can take a toll on your roof. It’s never too late to hurricane-proof your Tampa Bay roof.
Is your roof hurricane ready? Between the heat, sun, and six-month hurricane season, as a Florida homeowner, you know all too well weather conditions can take a toll on your roof.
A considerable investment, your roof can be extremely difficult to replace if the high winds and rain damage it. So, unless that damage has already been done, It's never too late to start preparing your roof for hurricane season.
Check out these top five tips to protect your roof against any storms hitting the Tampa Bay area this hurricane season.
5 Tips to Protect Your Roof During Hurricane Season
- Schedule a Roof Evaluation: Regular roof maintenance and upkeep are crucial to ensure its longevity. In Florida, every season presents challenges, which is why it's essential to inspect your roof from time to time. If at any point you notice an issue, have your roof inspected. The sooner you take action, the better. We recommend having your roof inspected at least once a year.
- Review Your Tampa Bay Home’s Insurance Policy: If your home's insurance policy does not include hurricane roof protection, it may be time to make a change to your policy. If a hurricane hits your Tampa Bay home, the repairs could be costly. However, even without hurricane roof protection, there is a good chance your homeowner’s insurance will cover a good portion of the repairs for you. That said, we suggest you look over your insurance policy and deductibles ahead of hurricane season, so you know what to expect and can consider making necessary changes to it.
- Check Your Roof for Loose Shingles: Luckily, you always have a few days’ notice before a hurricane tours the Tampa Bay area, which makes it easy for you to start checking your roof for loose shingles before the storm hits. But, trust us - you will want to do this a few times throughout hurricane season. If you don't, there is a good chance the storm will rip loose shingles off, leaving your roof vulnerable to heavy amounts of rainwater, which can leak into your home.
- Keep Your Trees Trimmed and Secure Your Yard: You should always keep an eye on the health of your trees; this is especially important before a hurricane or big storm hits your area. You'll want to make sure your tree limbs are trimmed and not a potential threat to your home's roof. Any dead limbs have the potential to snap off and fall on your roof. Also important is taking a good look around your yard for any loose items that may be thrown about in a storm and damage your roof (or other areas of your home).
- Clean Your Gutters: Let's be honest - nobody loves cleaning their gutters. We don't like doing dishes after dinner, either, but they have to be done. The same goes for your gutters. If your gutters are full of debris, hurricane rain can get backed up, which turns into a whole lot of puddling on your roof. This excess water can leak into your home. For this reason, it's a good idea to clean your gutters before hurricane season hits.
Tampa Bay Roof Services
Storm Restoration Services is a full-service roofing company in the Tampa Bay area. Passionate about what we do, we are here for you for all of your roofing needs - no matter if it’s hurricane season or not.
Whether you need a roof installation or a roof repair project, we guarantee nobody will provide a better overall experience for you than Storm Restoration Services. We take pride in our reputation, and we are dedicated to doing the job right. Contact SRS today!